This is a gold communion cup, from which the congregation drank wine during the Protestant Communion. Its old-fashioned Gothic style is more typical of Catholic chalices. In the mid-seventeenth century such cups suited a more ceremonial form of worship, the 'beauty of holiness' promoted by Archbishop William Laud (executed in 1645). The cup has a brass case to protect it.