The inscription tells us that the cup is made from 'the purest Guinea gold'. The British had traded for gold from Guinea (West Africa) since the early seventeenth century. From the 1660s this gold was used to make coins known as guineas. This cup weighs nearly one kilogram and probably cost about £150, a huge sum of money in 1662.