Commemorating the closure, Dinorwig Quarry, August 1969

Staff: Cadi Iolen
Some of the Gilfach Ddu workers, 1896
Some of the Gilfach Ddu workers, 1896

In July 1969 Prince Charles was invested Prince of Wales in Caernarfon Castle, on a dais of Dinorwig slate. A month later the quarrymen who produced the slate dais were made redundant overnight as Dinorwig Quarry closed without warning. Three hundred and fifty men lost their work. This signalled the end of over one hundred and eighty years of slate quarrying on the slopes of Elidir mountain. Gilfach Ddu, Dinorwig Quarry's former workshops, now houses the National Slate Museum. August 2009 will mark forty years since the closure of Dinorwig Quarry, an event which the museum wishes to commemorate.

The aim of this research project is to create a temporary exhibition (which will be displayed at the National Slate Museum, Llanberis) commemorating the closure of Dinorwig Quarry, and the effect the closure had on the quarrymen, their families, and surrounding communities. It is intended to gather the memories of quarrymen and their families through the use of digital stories, which will be displayed as an integral part on the exhibition. The exhibition will use of text, photographs, and relevant artefacts.