Use this blog to:
- Ask Professor Plant any questions you may have.
- Share interesting stories or photographs with other schools.
- Once you send a message, Professor Plant will read it then publish it onto the website.
To be web safe:
- We will not publish any childrens names.
- When you leave a message, list the name of your school, then your comment will be posted as 'pupils from' and the 'name of your school'.
- Always ask your teacher for permission before posting a message or a photograph.
SCAN is an Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales project, which helps schools promote Education for Sustainable Development.
Merry Christmas from Professor Plant
Just one week of school - before Christmas!
I'd like to thank all the super scientists who have been carefully recording since the 1st of November - this is now the last recording week before Christmas. It has been a very cold winter for going outside and recording so I'm delighted with the dedication each of you has shown! Thankfully, this week is a little warmer so the measuring shouldn't be so cold on the fingers!
Many schools have expressed concerns about their bulbs getting damaged by the frost:
"Due to the extremely cold weather we are concerned that our plants might not survive" St. Mary's Catholic Primary School.
"It has been really cold. Will the bulbs grow?" Ysgol Porth Y Felin.
I've had a good chat with our Senior Gardener, Juliet, who works at St.Fagans and we both agree that the bulbs should be ok. There will be some bulbs damaged by the frost but daffodil and crocus bulbs are very tough - so most should be ok!
At this time of year the bulbs are tucked under the ground, so snow and ice isn't as damaging as it can be in the spring, when the delicate tips and flowers are out on show. So fingers crossed :-)
See more questions and answers below.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year!
Coldest school record so far!
This week Ysgol Deganwy reported: 'Minus 11 is on Monday. Coldest day we've ever had in Deganwy school!' http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/2968
Wow that is so cold! Hope it's warmer in your classrooms. That is the the coldest record a school has ever sent in.
Has your school been colder? If so, let me know.
- All entries