Maritime and Transport
Curator: David Jenkins BA, PhD (Senior Departmental Curator)
[image: A model of the steam coaster Velinheli.]
A model of the steam coaster Velinheli.
[image: The schooner Hannah Jane of Porthmadog]
This is a painting of the schooner Hannah Jane of Porthmadog, which was built in Pwllheli in 1867.
[image: 1900 Benz car]
The 1900 Benz car has a top speed of 16mph.
[image: Gilbern cars]
Gilbern cars were manufactured in Llantwit Fadre from 1959 To 1973. This image shows a Mark II on the left and a Mark III on the right. Both retain their original registrations.
The restoration of this coach was completed in 1997.
This tram was operated by the Cardiff Tramways Company and ran on the city's Cathays route. After being taken out of service, it operated as a teabar for over fifty years before being donated to the Museum in 1971. Its restoration was completed in 1983.
[image: A model of the Cockington Manor]
A model of the Great Western Railways locomotive Cockington Manor (number 7806).
The maritime collections of Amgueddfa Cymru — National Museum Wales comprise items that vary in size and purpose from a sailmaker's needle to a full-sized lifeboat! Of particular interest are the ship model collections, comprising over 150 models of vessels that could have been seen off the coasts of Wales during the last two centuries, and the ship portrait collection, 250 ships of all kinds captured for posterity in watercolours, gouache and oils.
The oldest surviving Welsh-owned car, a Benz, that at 101 still completes the London - Brighton rally, examples of the Gilbern, the only car made in Wales, a beautifully-restored Cambrian Railways coach and a Cardiff horse tram - these are just some of the larger items from the department's transport collection. There is also an extensive collection of 7mm scale railway models, illustrating both pre-grouping and pre-nationalisation railways in Wales.Researching Welsh maritime history
Some related content from rhagor
- 26 September 2013
- 14 June 2013
- 30 November 2011
- 4 April 2011
- 12 November 2010