Group Visits - National Museum Cardiff
National Museum Cardiff welcomes group visits and aims to provide an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Please pre-book your group to help us plan for your visit.
1900-1930s art displays
Our displays of art from 1900-1930 are temporarily replaced by the Richard Wilson exhibition, and will reopen on the 20th December.
Industrial Action: 23 - 24 August
There will be some disruption at National Museum Cardiff on Saturday 23 & Sunday 24 August due to industrial action. The site will remain open, but will have reduced services from 1pm.
Specifically, the Art Galleries will close to visitors from 12.45pm, the Natural History Galleries are likely to remain open as normal until 5pm.
Pre-booked groups benefit from:
- Free entry
- 10% off in the museum café and restaurant on a minimum spend of £5 per person
- 10% off in the museum shop on a minimum spend of £5 per person
- Free guided tours
- Complimentary refreshments for coach driver
View our Group Visits brochure which covers the seven Museums of Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales.
Please note that the catering and retail discounts do not apply to educational groups. It is policy that any child aged under 11 must be accompanied by an adult.
Before your visit...
To book and obtain further details please contact:
Tel: (029) 2057 3325
Fax: (029) 2057 3321
- Following your initial enquiry, we will send the group leader a booking form to note the group’s requirements. We’ll then send you a letter confirming all your visit details.
- We can offer a number of free guided tours to pre-booked groups. The tours are regularly refreshed with new material and often complement our temporary exhibition programme. Tours can be arranged at time to suit your group and can accommodate up to 15 people on each tour (larger groups can be split into smaller tour groups). If you would like to take advantage of this offer, just let us know and we’ll send you a list of available tours to choose from.
- If you are intending to visit any particular gallery/exhibition please give us a call to check they are open prior to your visit.
When you arrive...
- Please check in at the Information Desk and confirm your group size. Here you can pick up a floorplan and your identification stickers to ensure you get the group discounts.
- There are coin-return lockers available in the Main Hall to store bags and coats. Wet umbrellas can be stored in the bins provided.
During your tour/visit…
To help make everyone's visit as pleasant as possible, please note the following guidelines:
- Children under 11 years must be supervised at all times with a ratio of at least one adult to 8 children.
- In the event of an emergency, please use the nearest fire exit and follow instructions from our Museum Assistants.
- Generally we are unable to block book places for large groups on public events although it is always worth checking if there are any unclaimed places.
- Please note we request that visitors refrain from eating and drinking or using mobile phones in the galleries.
- Non-flash photography is allowed in some galleries. Please refer to our Photography Policy for further information.
There are two coach parking bays in front of the Museum. Ideally these should be used for setting down and collecting visitors only. Coach parking is available on Corbett Road – Visit Wales can provide further information.
A visitor car park is situated at the rear of the Museum. Parking tokens to exit the car park are available for £5 from the shop in the Main Hall. Parking is free to disabled badge holders. Please take your blue badge to the Museum shop when purchasing your token. On-road disabled parking bays also available at the front of Museum on Gorsedd Gardens Road.
The Museum’s shop is situated in the Main Hall. Group members receive 10% off on a minimum spend of £5 per person. You could have your favourite painting on the wall at home – just ask about our Print on Demand service. Every purchase made at the Shop supports the Museum.
Food and Drink
The Oriel Restaurant, situated on the lower ground floor of the Museum, is open 10am - 2.30pm with hot and cold lunches served from 12pm. We also provide a range of sandwiches and baguettes, home-made soup, cakes and hot and cold drinks. This area is family-friendly and provides children’s sandwich boxes, selected children’s portions of main meals and specific meals for children during weekends and school holidays.
The Coffee Shop is situated in the Main Hall and is a great spot from which to enjoy the grandeur of the building. Here we serve a variety of home-made cakes and sandwiches and also hot and cold drinks. The Coffee Shop is open 10.30am-4.30pm.
Don’t forget pre-booked groups get 10% off in the museum café and restaurant. If you wish to reserve tables, please call 029 2057 3336.
We look forward to welcoming your group to National Museum Cardiff.