Art Collections Online
Reverend E. Turberville Williams
Media: oil on millboard
Size: 39.4 x 33.2 cm
Acquired: 1931; Gift; Mr & Mrs E.W.T. Brewer Williams
Accession Number: NMW A 4962
Edmund Turberville Williams was Vicar of Caldicot Church, Monmothshire. When Williams was appointed there was no village school and children received only basic education, learning how to read the Bible from a local widow. However, in 1847 St Mary’s Church School opened, largely due to Williams’s efforts who also gave £60 of his own money to support the school’s establishment.