Art Collections Online
Halswell House, Somerset
RICHARDS, John Inigo (1731 - 1810)
Media: oil on canvas
Size: 74.3 x 118.1 cm
Acquired: 1929; Gift; T.J. Coggins
Accession Number: NMW A 510
Richards was a founder member of the Royal Academy in 1768 and exhibited there regularly. He was principal scene painter at Covent Garden between 1777-1803 and executed several views of country houses. Halswell was built for Sir Haswell Tynte in 1689. This view of the house and its park includes the round Palladian temple dedicated to Robin Hood and, in the left foreground, a horse-drawn garden roller. At the end of the eighteenth century a visitor noted how the park commanded a fine view of '...The Channel... the Steepholm rising in the midst of it very boldly, and beyond these mountains of Wales rise one behind the other.' In 1740 Halswell House was inherited by Charles Kemeys-Tynte of Cefnmably, Glamorgan.