Halswell House, Somerset
RICHARDS, John Inigo (1731 - 1810)
Media: oil on canvas
Size: 74.3 x 118.1 cm
Acquired: 1929; Gift; T.J. Coggins
Accession Number: NMW A 510
Collection: Historic Paintings
Richards was a founder member of the Royal Academy and exhibited there regularly. He was principal scene painter at Covent Garden between 1777-1803 and executed several views of country houses. Halswell House was built for Sir Halswell Tynte in 1689. This view of the house and its park includes a round Palladian temple known as the Rotunda, and a horse-drawn garden roller. At the end of the eighteenth century a visitor noted how the park commanded a fine view of '...The Channel... the Steepholm rising in the midst of it very boldly, and beyond these mountains of Wales rise one behind the other.' In 1740 Halswell House was inherited by Charles Kemeys-Tynte of Cefnmably, Glamorgan.