ATTWOOD, J. (fl.1770 - fl.1780)
Media: oil on canvas
Size: 71.7 x 104.3 cm
Acquired: 1947; Purchase
Accession Number: NMW A 429
The great land-locked harbour of Milford Haven in south Pembrokeshire served as a major embarkation point for Ireland and America. The fleet assembling may be carrying reinforcements to the American War of Independence. Beyond it is the old hamlet on the river Cleddau which provided the nucleus of the town of Milford Haven, laid out by R.F.Greville in 1790. Nothing further is known of J.R. Attwood. In 1794 this composition was reproduced as an engraving in the European Magazine.