Investiture of the Prince of Wales at Caernarvon
GILLOT, Eugène Louis (1868 - 1925)
[image: Investiture of the Prince of Wales at Caernarvon]
Media: oil on canvas
Size: 196.9 x 276.3 cm
Acquired: 1920; Gift; Sir Alfred Mond
Accession Number: NMW A 2619
The son of an architect, Gillot was born and trained in Paris. He exhibited at the Paris World Exhibition in 1900 and was well known in Britain for large commemorative paintings. Gillot produced two other pictures of British state events of 1911, The Spithead Review and The Coronation of George V. This work depicts the Investiture of David, later Edward VIII at Caernarfon Castle on 13 July 1911. The view is looking south-east from the King's Gate. At the left is the Queen's Gate and at the right part the Black Tower. In the foreground is the main dais surmounted by a statue of St David. The Prince of Wales is reading his speech directly following the actual Investiture. Next to him sit King George V in naval uniform and Queen Mary in a white dress and hat. Notables in uniform and druidic costume surround the dais and at the left sits a choir, including 200 women in Welsh national dress. At the battlements of the Queen's Gate are the trumpeters of the Household Cavalry. This painting was commissioned by Sir Alfred Mond, later Baron Melchett (1868-1930). The founder of ICI, he also controlled most of the Welsh anthracite field. As Liberal MP for Swansea from 1910 to 1923 he was present at the Investiture.