Visiting - Big Pit National Coal Museum
Big Pit National Coal Museum
Phone: (029) 2057 3650
Switchboard (standard rate): 0300 111 2 333
Fax: (029) 2057 3668
Open daily 9.30 am – 5pm.
Last admission 4pm. Underground tours 10am - 3.30pm.
Car park charge £3 per car per day, payable by Pay and Display.
Download a site map.
- Please wear warm clothing and sensible footwear.
- Children must be over 1 metre tall to go underground.
- Underground tours may be suspended for part of the day during busy periods in order to clear any queues which may have built up. Please call during holiday periods to check availability.
- A minimum of 2 people per guided tour
- Underground tours take approximately one hour.
- Allow three to four hours for your visit.
- Audio guides are available.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- During January underground tours are available at weekends only, except for Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th January.
- Please telephone to check availability of underground tours (10am–3pm) during December, January & early February.
- Groups of ten or more should book in advance.
- A 'Planning Your Visit' guide is available for groups
- Wheelchair users should book in advance for underground tours.
- An Access Guide is available to download or by phoning (029) 2057 3650
How to find us
For Satellite Navigation directions, please enter Blaenafon (Blaenavon) town and follow brown tourism signs once arriving in the town.
M4 — follow the brown Tourism signs from J25a (westbound) or J26 (eastbound). Also signposted off the A465 at Brynmawr and Abergavenny.
The number 30 bus now runs from Cwmbran (not Newport) daily (Monday to Saturday except bank holiday Mondays).
Bus times from Cwmbran: 7.52am, 8.52am (Saturdays and during school holidays only), 9.52am, then hourly at .52 past the hour.
Return bus to Cwmbran, leaving Big Pit: 9.22am, then hourly at .22 past the hour until 4.22pm. Please note: 3.22pm (final stop Pontypool during school days, final stop Cwmbran on Saturdays and during school holidays).
Pre-booked groups benefit from:
- Free entry
- 10% off in Miners Canteen and coffee shop on a minimum spend of £5 per person
- 10% off in the Museum shop on a minimum spend of £5 per person
- Free guided tours
- Behind the scenes tours and conservation demonstrations, available on request
- Complimentary refreshments for coach driver
Please ask at Reception for your site plan and the vouchers needed to ensure the members of your group receive discount in our shop and catering outlets.
View our Group Visits brochure which covers the seven Museums of Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales.
Please note that the catering and retail discounts do not apply to educational groups. It is policy that any child aged under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.