Advice for disabled visitors
- There are designated parking bays for Blue Badge holders to the rear of the Visitor Car Park, access via Museum Avenue. Blue Badge holders are entitled to free parking – please take your blue badge to the Museum shop to obtain an exit token. There is a level access path to and from the Visitor Car Park via Park Place and Museum Avenue. There are also designated disabled parking bays in front of the Museum on Gorsedd Gardens Road.
- The entrance to the Museum for wheelchair users and families with pushchairs is via a self operated glass lift to the right of the front steps of the Museum. In the event that this lift is out of order, alternative access is available at the gate to the left of the Museum steps by pressing the intercom for assistance.
- There is wheelchair access to all galleries. Most galleries can be visited independently, but lifts to some galleries must be operated by a Museum Assistant for security reasons. There are signs indicating the location and operating instructions of all lifts. Museum staff are nearby to help.
- Four wheelchairs and six mobile seating sticks are available on loan from the Information desk on request. These are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
- A variety of seating is available throughout the Museum
- Please be aware that there are uneven floor levels throughout the Evolution of Wales exhibition and in some of the Natural History galleries – please take care in these areas.
- The Reardon Smith Lecture Theatre has a viewing platform with six designated spaces for wheelchair users. Access to the Theatre is from the rear of the Visitor Car Park or via a level access pathway from Park Place.
- The Evolution of Wales, Natural History and Man & the Environment galleries all have audio material to support the visual exhibits.
- Some of the natural science galleries have low light levels but walkways, text panels are exhibits are clearly illuminated.
- A touch trail is available in the Natural History galleries.
- All Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales marketing material is available in large print. Please telephone 029 2057 3171.
- Some of our marketing material is available on a CD. Please telephone 029 2057 3171.
- An Induction Loop is provided in the Evolution of Wales gallery, the Information desk, Shop, Restaurant and Coffee Shop counters and in the Reardon Smith Theatre. A mobile induction loop is available for use in the meeting and learning rooms.
- BSL accompanied Group Guided Tours available – please call (029) 2057 3325
- Most galleries and exhibits have a good standard of written material to support the collections.
- Only assistance dogs are allowed on site.
- Drinking water is available on request from the Oriel Restaurant or Coffee Shop.
- Dogs must leave the premises to relieve themselves and staff will assist in identifying a suitable area.
- The Museum Shop, Coffee Shop and Oriel Restaurant are accessible to wheelchair users.
- Accessible toilets are situated in the Oriel Restaurant
- Baby changing facilities are situated in the Oriel Restaurant.
For historic reasons many of our museums are not totally accessible to all our visitors. We are continually striving to improve the situation wherever possible. If you have any helpful suggestions please let a member of staff know or write to:
Director of Operations,
Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales