Curator: Ceri Thompson BA
The Curator (Coal Mining Collections) is responsible for the combined coal mining related collections of Amgueddfa Cymru — National Museum Wales and the National Coal Museum of Wales, Big Pit Colliery.
The site and collections at Big Pit were amalgamated into the Department of Industry, NMGW on 1 April 2001. Together, the two collections comprise two thirds of all mining collections held by museums in Wales and form by far the most comprehensive 3D record of the Welsh coal mining industry.
Big Pit National Coal Museum
The Big Pit collection has been integrated into the coal collection of the Department of Industry, Amgueddfa Cymru &mdahs; National Museum Wales and consists of:
- Preserved colliery surface buildings
- Preserved underground workings
- Reconstructed surface simulations
- Medium-sized and large mining machinery
- A comprehensive collection of mine lighting
- A comprehensive collection of hand tools
- A comprehensive collection of mine environmental monitoring equipment
- A comprehensive collection of adjustable and powered roof supports
- A comprehensive collection of colliery communication equipment
- A comprehensive collection of mines rescue equipment
- A representative collection of medium to large items including an early 'swinging pick' mechanical coal cutter and the first electric motor used underground
- A limited collection of coal mining trade union items
- A photographic collection consisting of 5,500 coal related images
- A library consisting of 7,900 coal mining related bound volumes and pamphlets.