Visiting - Big Pit: National Coal Museum
Big Pit: National Coal Museum
Phone: (029) 2057 3650
Switchboard (standard rate): 0300 111 2 333
Fax: (029) 2057 3668
Open daily 9.30 am - 5pm.
Last admission 4pm. Underground tours 10am - 3.30pm.
Children must be over 1 metre in height to go underground. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Audio guides are available.
Please wear warm clothing and sensible footwear.
Car park charge £2 per car per day, payable by Pay and Display.
Please note: during January underground tours are available at weekends only.
Pre-booked groups benefit from:
- Free entry
- 10% off in Miners Canteen and coffee shop on a minimum spend of £5 per person
- 10% off in the Museum shop on a minimum spend of £5 per person
- Free guided tours
- Behind the scenes tours and conservation demonstrations, available on request
- Complimentary refreshments for coach driver
Please ask at Reception for your site plan and the vouchers needed to ensure the members of your group receive discount in our shop and catering outlets.
View our Group Visits brochure which covers the seven Museums of Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales.
Please note that the catering and retail discounts do not apply to educational groups. It is policy that any child aged under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
How to find us
For Satellite Navigation directions, please enter Blaenafon (Blaenavon) town and follow brown tourism signs once arriving in the town.
M4 — follow the brown Tourism signs from J25a (westbound) or J26 (eastbound). Also signposted off the A465 at Brynmawr and Abergavenny.
Buses run from Newport daily (Monday to Saturday), number 30.
Bus times from Newport: 8.45 am; 10.45 am; 12.45 pm ; 2.45 pm.
Return bus, leaving Big Pit: 11.27am; 1.27pm; 3.27pm; 5.27pm.
- Children must be over one metre tall to go underground.
- Underground tours take approximately one hour.
- Allow three to four hours for your visit.
- Please wear warm clothing and sensible footwear.
- Underground tours may be suspended for part of the day during busy periods in order to clear any queues which may have built up. Please call during holiday periods to check availability.
- Please telephone to check availablity of underground tours (10am–3.30pm) during December & January.
- All groups of ten or more should book in advance.
- A 'Planning Your Visit' guide is available for groups
- Children under sixteen years old should be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Wheelchair users should book in advance for underground tours.
- An Access Guide is available to download or by phoning (029) 2057 3650