GLO - people's history online
The style of GLO is based on the photojournalistic magazine Picture Post and compliments the excellent St Fagans publication Homefront, which commemorated Welsh life during the Second World War.
GLO is also similar in appearance to COAL, the National Coal Board's magazine, first published in 1947.
GLO can best be described as a 'people's history' magazine; people are asked to contribute their own views, images and experiences of a particular topic.
A selection of stories and images from the magazines are also available on Rhagor as individual articles, each linking to the relevant issue of GLO.
Issues published to date have been:
- 'Bevin Boys' - conscription into the mines during the Second World War
- 'NC-Bloody-B' - the nationalization of the coal industry
- 'All Poles?' - foreign workers in the Welsh coal fields
- 'Strike!' - the 1984/5 Miners' Strike
- North Wales: The Forgotten Coalfield?
- A Cog in the Wheel
Issues are available to download below.
Article Date: 6 August 2010