You are here:  >   >   > 

Images of Industry

M.V. ST. THOMAS and ST. ESSYLT

HICK, Allanson (1898 - 1975)

(Amgueddfa Cymru regrets that we are not able to provide an image for this item at this time. This is either due to copyright restrictions, or the item is awaiting digitisation. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.)

Date: 1948

Media: oil on canvas

Size: 610 x 839 mm

Acquired: 1989; Purchase

Accession Number: 89.136I

Commissioned by R.G.M. Street, managing director of the South American Saint Line. In 1948, two ships of quite revolutionary design were completed by Thompson’s of Sunderland for the South American Saint Line of Cardiff. Before the war, the company had initiated a regular liner service to South America and two new ships - the St Essylt and the St Thomas - were envisaged as a prestigious means of re-launching the service, carrying twelve passengers as well as cargo. Despite its initial success, however, the company had ceased trading by 1965, and both these fine ships were broken-up in 1978-79.

Work not on display

0 comments

Leave a comment