You are here:  >   >   > 

Images of Industry

S.S. ST. DAVID - G.W.R. Ferry

artist unknown

(Amgueddfa Cymru regrets that we are not able to provide an image for this item at this time. This is either due to copyright restrictions, or the item is awaiting digitisation. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.)

Date: 1907

Media: watercolour on paper

Size: 202 x 307 mm

Acquired: 1990; Purchase

Accession Number: 90.75I/1

The S.S. ST DAVID was a triple-screw turbine steamer built in 1906 by John Brown & Co. Ltd., Clydesbank for the Great Western Railway. She was one of four vessels built between 1906 and 1908 for the GWR’s newly-inaugurated service from Fishguard to Rosslare. All four vessels saw service as hospital ships during the First World War, bringing wounded soldiers back from France. When a replacement St David was built in 1932, this vessel was re-named Rosslare, but she was withdrawn from service soon afterwards and cut up at Newport in 1933.

Work not on display

0 comments

Leave a comment