S.S. ST. DAVID - 1st W.W. Hospital Ship
[image: S.S. ST. DAVID - G.W.R. Ferry]
Media: watercolour on paper
Size: 203 x 307 mm
Acquired: 1990; Purchase
Accession Number: 90.75I/2
The S.S. ST DAVID was a triple-screw turbine steamer built in 1906 by John Brown & Co. Ltd., Clydesbank for the Great Western Railway. She was one of four vessels built between 1906 and 1908 for the GWR’s newly-inaugurated service from Fishguard to Rosslare. All four vessels saw service as hospital ships during the First World War, bringing wounded soldiers back from France. When a replacement St David was built in 1932, this vessel was re-named Rosslare, but she was withdrawn from service soon afterwards and cut up at Newport in 1933.