This barn was built using crucks, large curved timbers rising from near the ground to the apex of the roof. When first built, about 1600, it had timber-framed walls but these were replaced by stone in about 1800.
Almost every farm had a barn where its corn crop was stored and threshed over winter. After being unloaded through the wide doors, the corn was threshed by hand with a flail and then the ears were separated from the chaff by throwing the corn up in the through-draught provided by the open doors.
Also in about 1800, the original single bay to one side of the threshing floor was turned into a cow-house, a common feature in north-east and central Wales.