Castle and Gardens - St Fagans National History Museum
St Fagans Castle is a Grade 1 listed building and one of the finest Elizabethan manor houses in Wales.
The interior illustrates the history of the house throughout four centuries. As well as original furniture, some of the finest pieces from the Museum’s collections from other houses are also displayed.
Originally built in 1580, much of the interior was re-modelled during the 19th century.
The rooms are furnished to reflect the lives of the family in residence at the end of the century, that of Lord Robert-Windsor, later the Earl of Plymouth, who donated the Castle along with 18 acres of land to National Museum Wales in 1946.
Beautiful garden displays surround the Castle including an Italian Garden (laid out in 1902, restored in 2003) and thyme garden, while there are many features original to the site.
Fish ponds, fountains, a mulberry grove, vinery and an exquisite Rosery add depth and colour to the Museum’s grounds.
The gardens are perhaps the best-kept secret at St Fagans, from those of the gentry to the cottage gardens that provided food for working families.
They give a real insight into the lives of Welsh people throughout history, and complement the historic buildings in their interpretation of the past.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.