St Fagans Castle is a Grade 1 listed building and one of the finest Elizabethan manor houses in WalesOpen to the public since 1 November 1948, the museum stands in the grounds of the magnificent St Fagans Castle and gardens, a late 16th-century manor house donated to the people of Wales by the Earl of Plymouth.
Beautiful garden displays surround the Castle including an Italian Garden (laid out in 1902, restored in 2003) and thyme garden, while there are many features original to the site.
Fish ponds, fountains, a mulberry grove, vinery and an exquisite Rosery add depth and colour to the Museum’s grounds.
The gardens are perhaps the best-kept secret at St Fagans, from those of the gentry to the cottage gardens that provided food for working families.
They give a real insight into the lives of Welsh people throughout history, and complement the historic buildings in their interpretation of the past.