Advice for disabled visitors
Listen to the audio version (1.7mb, MP3)
- Dedicated parking spaces for disabled visitors are provided in the car park, adjacent to the main entrance to the museum. Ramps provide access to the entry point and shops.
- Wheelchairs are available on request, free of charge, in the main foyer entrance. Although these chairs cannot be pre-booked and are provided on a first come first served basis, we will notify the Ticket Office if an advance request is made.
- Wheelchair access is possible to most parts of the site. However, it should be noted that the historic nature of some of the buildings in our collection means that access may be difficult.
- It is also worth noting that the terrain on the Castle side of the Museum is steep in places and may prove difficult for some wheelchair users and their helpers. The easier routes have been marked on signposts. A map clearly displaying a suggested path for wheelchair users, and identifying steep gradients, is available from the Main Entrance at a cost of 50p. This information is also reproduced on large-scale panels throughout the site.
- Moveable ramps and a lift are available at the Oakdale Workmen's Institute.
- A motorised Disabled Tour Vehicle (DTV) is available to transport visitors around the site. The DTV can carry up to a maximum of five passengers. However, only two severely disabled people can be transported at any one time and, for Health & Safety compliance, they must be accompanied by one carer each. As a trained driver is required we request that bookings for this free service are made two weeks in advance by telephoning 029 2057 3500.
- One of the pleasures of visiting St Fagans is to experience the sounds and smells on such a varied site, from fresh bread being baked and wood fires burning to the sounds and smells of our farm animals.
- Most buildings are manned and in addition many crafts and demonstrations are displayed on site. Our staff will be happy to explain the techniques and skills involved.
- Some parts of the site may present orientation difficulties to visually impaired people, such as the stream and ponds. Advice can be sought at Information desk in the entrance hall before going out on site.
- Large print guide books are available free on loan. Please ask at the entrance.
- All the buildings have information boards located outside them.
Changing Places Unit
- A 'Changing Places Unit' is available at the Museum which includes an electronic bed and hoist in addition to the toilet and other facilities there. The unit can be accessed using a 'radar' key, a key is available on request from the Main Entrance Desk.
- Dogs are welcomed on site provided they are kept on a lead. Please note that only assistance dogs are allowed into the buildings.
- Assistance dogs for both visually and hearing impaired visitors are welcomed and are allowed into the buildings.
- Drinking water for dogs is available on request at the Cafe, at Oakdale and the Castle.
- All dog owners are offered pooper-scoopers when entering the museum and we appreciate your co-operation in keeping the museum clean and safe.
- The guidebook, which includes a site plan, presents the collection in a clear and concise manner with several pictures and diagrams.
- There are also large-scale site plans at key points around the museum.
- The food outlets, Yr Odyn and the Castle Buttery are accessible to wheelchair users.
- Accessible toilets are available at the Main Entrance, adjacent to the Rhyd y car cottages and in the Castle Yard.
- Baby changing facilities are available near the Main Entrance.
If you have any access requirements - physical, sensory or regarding the presentation of information please ask at the Reception Desk.
For historic reasons many of our museums are not totally accessible to all our visitors. We are continually striving to improve the situation where ever possible. If you have any helpful suggestions please let a member of staff know or write to: -
Claire Thomas-Hanna, Diversity Officer, Amgueddfa Cymru — National Museum Wales, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NP