Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales offers work experience to students from 14 to 18 years old. Placements are available in the following departments:
- Archaeology & Numismatics*
- Big Pit National Coal Museum
- Historic Buildings Unit
- Human Resources
- Learning (National Museum Cardiff)
- Learning (St Fagans National History Museum)†
- The National Roman Legion Museum
- The National Slate Museum
- The National Waterfront Museum
- The National Wool Museum
- Social & Cultural History†
- Visitor Services (National Museum Cardiff)
- Visitor Services (St Fagans National History Museum)†
* Sixth form students only
† Welsh essential
How to apply
The application process is run though Careers Wales who hold a database containing all the possible placements available, which you can access at school or at your local Careers Centre.
Placements must be booked on the database and you will be required to complete an application form (available at school or through Careers Wales). The relevant department will make a decision on whether they are able to accept you based on the information you provide in the application form.
Please note, we require at least 6 weeks notice before the commencement of any placement, and placements are not guaranteed until you have received confirmation from Amgueddfa Cymru.
Because of the high levels of interest in work experience at Amgueddfa Cymru, unfortunately we cannot find placements for all applicants. The summer months are especially popular and heavily over-subscribed. Other factors also limit the availability of work experience placements, such as staff time available for supervision and training.
Send your questions about work experience to Elaine Davies, Work Experience Co-ordinator.